Friday, February 12, 2016

My students are my best defense

My students are my best defense against aging, sickness, and depression. That's a lot of baggage to place at their feet, but it's true.

At conferences last night, I realized--for the first time, really--that I am about the same age as their parents. And yet, I don't think I look as old as their parents (maybe it's my vanity?!). My students keep me feeling young because they share their vernacular with me; I can speak 'teenager.' Just as they spend time trying to outsmart me, I have to spend time keeping up with them, which keeps my brain sharp. I'm around the latest clothing trends, music tastes, and technology. All of which keep me feeling young, and if I feel young, I am young.

Cancer has sucked me dry, but going to school has motivated me to keep a positive attitude, to walk to keep my energy up, and to seek alternative treatments so I can go to school. The kids, overall, have been supportive, kind, and caring. They've made me hats, blankets, given me cards, and showered me with love. The other day, I told them it was their fault I was doing so well; it was because of them (and my family) that I had a reason to get better. It's true. Without them, I would have sat home, feeling sorry for myself. I've also been exposed to all sorts of nasty germs, thanks to them, which has successfully built up  my immune system. I'm a fairly healthy person, thanks to them.

Depression and anxiety are ever-present, and many times caused by my students. I worry about them, I stress over them, and some of them make me anxious. Yet I can be present for them, support them, and shower them with a teacher-love that lets them know they are safe and cared for in my room. I can't control the world around them, but for 90 minutes every other day, they can come to my room and know someone loves and accepts them as they are.

My students are my best defense, and although there are plenty of times I still wonder why I teach, I have teens who lift me up, challenge me, and care about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment